Neff, Mary Katherine
Mary Katherine Neff (7.09.1877–10.12.1948) educator, lecturer, and historian.
Member of the Theosophical Society on January 30, 1908. During the years 1908-1909, she served as secretary of the Akron Lodge.
From 1911-1913, during her first visit to India, she resided at the Adyar headquarters and worked in the Theosophical Publishing House, the Adyar Library and Research Centre, and for a time was private secretary to Charles W. Leadbeater.
She was a much-sought lecturer who toured the United States, Australia, and New Zealand speaking about Theosophy on behalf of the Society and giving public lectures about her travels.
Miss Neff wrote several books and pamphlets:
- The “Brothers” of Madame Blavatsky (Adyar, Madras, India: Theosophical Publishing House, 1932.)
- A Guide to Adyar (1934). Reissued by Theosophical Publishing House in Adyar, 1999, as Adyar: Historical Notes and Features up to 1934. Pamphlet with several coauthors, 54 pages.
- Personal Memoirs of H. P. Blavatsky (1937, 1967).
- The Mahatma Letters: Their Chronological Order (1940 pamphlet).
- How Theosophy Came to Australia and New Zealand (1943).
- Letters of H. P. Blavatsky to A. P. Sinnett: Their Chronological Order (1940).